Location, Location, Location!
Thursday, November 09, 2006
Ever since Mike and I started seriously thinking about opening up Capanna in Iowa City, location has been the theme. We looked at spot after spot, passing each one by because it wasn't quite right- it was on the wrong side of the road, it wasn't at the stoplight, there weren't any other good complentary businesses nearby, etc. I know more about a good coffee shop location than I ever would have thought possible! In fact, when Mike and I are in other cities, we are still noticing spots as we're waiting in traffic- "Oh, that would be an awesome location!!" :) Well, Sunday night we learned the true value of location.
Going downtown in Iowa City was not our first choice of locations. Iowa City already had a fairly competitive market downtown, and we didn't want to take on that much competitian for our first location. Our original plan had been to start on the outskirts and make a name for ourselves, and then conquer downtown. However, the location on the pedmall came up so we decided to look at it. Mike took me downtown in the middle of the week on a cold January night. It was absolutely dead, but I just knew it, this was a great spot. Mike attributes it to my affinity for big cities, and the pedmall is the closest thing resembling a big city atmosphere, but I really just felt that it was going to be good. So we went for it, and time after time we hear people tell us - what a great location!! We are smack dab in the middle of everything that goes on downtown. This summer the Friday night concert series was right outside our doors. We're right next to the playground so parents and kids can peek in the windows to spot the yummy gelato and other goodies inside. We're the closest coffeehouse to the Sheraton, which is especially great when there are conferences there. It really is an amazing spot.
If we had any doubt, Sunday night gave us the proof. Late on Friday, Mike found out that Chet Culver and Barak Obama would be speaking right outside our doors. We knew this was pretty big. So Sunday night we were prepared to be busy. We had to regular Capanna employees and Mike and I ready to go. Plus, my dad came over to roast while my mom came to help do whatever, which ended up as cleaning tables and washing dishes. (Sidenote- I'm pretty sure this is the only time my dad will be so excited about such a large gathering of democrats!) We thought we were ready. We were absolutely SLAMMED!!! Seriously, we had busy nights during the summer with gelato, but this took the cake. For two hours straight there was a line stretching from the door to the counter (and for those of you who have been inside, you know that's a pretty sizeable distance!) We were all working like crazy getting out drinks, scooping gelato, and putting on our friendliest smiles. It was awesome. I wish I had pictures to show you. I still can't believe it. And the thing is, we're going to continue to have amazing days like that because we were blessed with such an amazing spot! And our next location is awesome too. God really has been good to us. It took awhile, but the waiting has paid off!
1 comments:
YAY! SO good to hear of the Capanna success! Seriously, that is so awesome... Way to go, guys. Way to go, God!
Post a Comment