I Like Mike
Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Mike and I spent part of last night watching the GOP debate live on FoxNews.com. I can only pay attention to these things for so long, but most of what I watched was very interesting.
One person that stuck out to me as being pretty strong was Mike Huckabee. I remembered my Dad mentioning him as someone he sort of liked awhile back, so I decided to look him up on the internet. Looking at his stance on the issues, I like a lot of what I see. Especially his stance on health care. He was diagnosed with diabetes in 2003 and then subsequently lost 110 pounds and became a marathoner!! So because of this, he is really big on focusing on preventive medicine, which if we're ever to lower health care costs in the U.S. is absolutely crucial. He did a lot of really great things while governor of Arkansas. I am currently registered independent, but I'll likely switch to Republican so I can vote in the caucuses, and so far, this guy is my favorite Republican. I guess he's a long shot, but from my viewpoint, far better than any of the current frontrunners.
As a side note- Dad, what do you think of Huckabee? Is he still in your top list?
2 comments:
For the most part, the current batch of Republicans is dismal. It has become a process of elimination with me.
I have never cared for John McCain. I never know for sure where he is going to come down on an issue. Some people admire his maverick ways; I don't.
I really tried to like Rudy Giuliani. I think he is a great leader. But alas his 3 marriages, support for gay marriage, support for "public" funding of abortions have made me cross him off the list.
Brownback? Fine he is a Christian and social conservative, but I don't think he has what it takes to be President.
John Cox - ran unsuccessfully in Illinois for the House and the Senate. Yea, like that qualifies him for President!
Ron Paul - Said during the debate that 9-11 was because of our involvement in bombing Iraq. Giuliani cut him to shreds on that statement. Paul comes across as a first class kook.
What about Mitt? Just something about him that bugs me. No, it is not his Morman faith. He just comes off too slick. He's also flip flopped on some important issues. I am sure he had to support the gay agenda and abortion to get elected in the state of Mass., but I just can't trust someone who doesn't stick with his core values.
Tom Tancredo - Doesn't like illegal immigrants. Just a one issue candidate.
Tommy Thompson - As I was typing this, I just received a phone call
from Tommy. No really, I did. Well OK, it was a recording, but it sounded pretty real. He wants me to go to the August 11th straw poll in Ames. I may, but I doubt it will be to vote for him.
Newt - Oh no, no, no. He was good for the party in 1994, but he and the Republicans failed to uphold the values that we elected them to. Remember Duke Cunningham? A certified Vietnam War flying Ace, Republican Congressman from California, now serving prison time. Newt is much too divisive.
So who does that leave us with(I told you it was dismal)?
Jim Gilmore - Maybe worth a look.
Duncan Hunter - "Donut" know much about him.
Fred Thompson - I'm interested. Saw him on TV, and was impressed.
And finally what about Mike Huckabee. He has 2 hurdles to jump over. He's a former governor from Hope, Arkansas (Remmeber the last one from Hope, Arkansas???). And he has a really goofy last name. I know, I know. That is the name he was born with and least he hasn't tried to change it (Gary Hart was originally Gary Hartpence, but he changed it early on for the politics). At least his parents didn't name him Jed or Jethro. Despite this; I am beginning to like Mike, too.
DAD
Wow - your dad did a great job summing that all up! I really like Huckabee. But I'll be honest, even typing President Huckabee just seems weird. The state, the name and the lack of funds are going to hurt him too much.
Post a Comment