Honeytree -- Rattle Me, Shake Me
Tuesday, August 07, 2007
Lately in my internet browsing I've been running across some articles discussing a documentary on Lonnie Frisbee, a man who is considered to be one of the main catalysts of the Jesus Movement back in the early 70s. I've always had a part of me that wishes I could have been a hippie and so this movement in particular has intrigued me, as these guys were basically christian hippies. A few years ago my Dad made me a CD he titled "Jesus Music for Jesus People" which included some of his favorite songs that arose from this movement, basically the beginnings of the contemporary christian music that we know today. My Dad became a Christian in 1975 I believe, so these songs were an important part of his early Christian life (which in essence means they had an influence on my own Christian life- I love thinking about my "spiritual heritage").
Anyway- long story short, I came across this video tonight and thought I would share it. It's by a singer named Honeytree and it's one of the songs on that CD. So this is mostly for my Dad, but also for the entertainment of everyone else. She forgets the words at one point, but mostly it's the same as I imagine her to have been thirty years ago. Enjoy!
1 comments:
Honeytree definitely has a place in my spiritual heart. Your mom and I saw Honeytree in Concert in Des Moines at a place called the New Life Center. It was during the early days of the Jesus Movement. Many "hippies" had become disillusioned with the free love and drugs that left them empty. The Utopia they were seeking had become corrupted with a very common disease - humans. While their theology was sometimes flawed, these people understood their need for a Savior. For anyone interested a few of the other early contemporary Christian singers were: Phil Keaggy (my all time favorite),Larry Norman, and of course Keith Green. Their music is still listened to today.
Love,
DAD
Post a Comment