Garden Update and a New Adventure!

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

My container garden is coming along quite nicely. I have lots of green tomatoes and a few that are turning red, I'm finally starting to get some beans and cucumbers, and I already got two zucchini and one yellow squash. Unfortunately, I'm not going to be one of those people with ridiculous amounts of zucchini. For the second year in a row, my plants succumbed to the squash vine borer. From what I read online, there's not much you can do to avoid this pest and once you get it your plant is doomed to death :( I think the best you can do is just plant enough that hopefully some avoid it, but since that's not really possible in a small container garden, I think this might be the last year I do zucchini until I can plant in the ground.

In other news, I decided to train with some friends from church to run a 5k this fall! I'm not too crazy about running (well, actually I really dislike it), but I knew I needed to start getting some exercise and this way I have something to train for and people to hold me accountable- no excuses! It does feel nice to know I won't have to feel like a hypocrite when I'm telling patients to get 30 minutes of exercise 5 days a week! I'm planning to follow the Couch to 5k plan, which has 9 weeks of 30 minute runs where you alternate between walking and running. In the beginning you run for only 60 seconds at a time, but then in later weeks you start running more and walking less. It's a good plan for me, since I get discouraged if I try to run too long when I'm out of shape. I got new running shoes this weekend and finally got motivated enough to break them in tonight. And I'm happy to say I made it through all 30 minutes of my first run! I had a hard time knowing exactly when to switch to running or walking without a stop watch, but I found some podcasts online for each week which have music that changes beat so you know when to walk and when to run. Mike said he would let me borrow his iPod. That should make things much easier. I'll try to document my progress on the blog. The more people to hold me accountable the better!

3 comments:

Kelsey 6:37 PM  

What are the podcasts you're using? I've tried plans like that and hated trying to time myself. That is a really good idea.

Unknown 10:38 PM  

Thats cool...I wish you lived closer so I could run with you. I am suppose to run in a 5K in like 3 weeks....I haven't even bought running shoes yet. Yikes I might bale.

The McCains 5:56 AM  

Kelsey- go to www.c25k.com to get the podcasts. I haven't tried them yet, but seems like other people like them.

Nicole- I wish you lived closer too! You should ditch that 5k in 3 weeks, but start running and come run with me in October!! i meant to ask you earlier to see if you were interested.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Brownium by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP