Attack of the Boxelder Bugs!!
Saturday, March 11, 2006
So it's starting to warm up and look like spring here in Iowa. The sun has been shining, we've had thunderstorms, and the birds are out and chirping in full force. Today is a beautiful sunny day and at 11:20 AM is already 61 degrees. I love it!! However, I do not love what the change of seasons brings to my house. Mike and I have been dealing with boxelder bugs all winter. They seemed to enter our house from nowhere and we'd often find them crawling on our walls, floors, or writhing on their backs as they lay dying on the kitchen floor. They have been entertainment from time to time when Jackson's over and bats them around, but mostly they are just annoying. And gross. A few weeks ago I woke up feeling something crawling on my head, and sure enough, a nasty black insect with that signature orange was crawling across my forehead. As if that wasn't bad enough, after I flung that one to the floor and attempted to go back to sleep I feel one crawling on my chest. Needless to say I did not go to sleep after that.
So that brings us back to today. Mike walks 
outside to put some mail in the mailbox and discovers the source of our problem. There was a HUGE cluster, like hundreds, of boxelder bugs on the front of our house. I have honestly never seen so many in my life. It was disgusting. So I go in and get a bucket of soapy water to throw on them, since I have heard that is a good way to get them off your house. Well I come back and realize that it's not that one cluster but they are literally swarming across the front of our house. It was an invasion of epic proportions. We called our landlord, so hopefully we can get something done about it. I'd rather stay away from all the bug killing chemicals, but I think this job is just a little too big for my natural remedies.
2 comments:
Actually, kids, that is the only way to get rid of boxelder bugs. As Mike knows, we have been fighting those critters for years, some years worse than others and the soapy water treatment is the only thing that will get rid of them. When they are bad like you have them, you pretty much have to spray that soapy water combo every day. I don't know if it makes any difference in the liquid soap one uses but we find that Palmolive (the green one) works the best. Maybe it's just a mind set but believe me we have tried everything!
Madre
wow guys! thanks for all the updates! we hadn't checked your blog in awhile, so it was nice to read the last few posts. sounds great about the experience you're getting in community nutrition, alicia! and the coffee shop looks like it's gonna be awesome!! we're so psyched for all the cool stuff going on with you guys... except for the bug invasion, that is. those look pretty gross. and on you while you sleep!?! ay! we hope that soapy water does the trick... and quickly!! love yous!
Post a Comment