Spring is Here....
Sunday, April 01, 2007
Despite the fact I let the month of March go by without updating our blog, the McCains are still alive and well. I can't believe it's April 1 already! I'm looking forward to the spring after the somewhat rough winter we had. I like the snow, but I'm always ready for spring to come. It's just nice to have everything feel so fresh and new. I love the rain this time of year, as it washes away all of the dirt and grime and everything gray from the winter.
Here's a short version of what we have been up to lately:
Capanna-
We are now successfully (more or less!) running two stores. It has definitely been stressful at times and it seems like Mike's time is spread so thin, but we are managing. Our next step is to figure out how to delegate some of Mike's tasks so he can focus more on managing the company, rather than dealing with the small details of the day-to-day tasks (which are numerous!) We've been brainstorming ways to make this transition. Mike has been doing a good job lately of working hard to take time away from the store to spend at home with me :) I know it will only get better. Mike was talking to someone who compared the second store to having a second child- it's hard going from one to two, but once you have two, you can manage 3 or 4 or 5... But no worries, we don't have a third store in line any time in the near future!
My Job-
I'm excited to be transitioning to working nearly full-time as a clinical dietitian and leaving my research job. It's been stressful to keep up with two jobs (most days I do 4 hours of one, then 4 hours of the other). I'm going to be taking over the position in the Family Care Center at the hospital, since the RD currently in that job is leaving to move to Nebraska. I'll be doing outpatient nutrition counseling, seeing a little bit of everything. It's kind of overwhelming, as I'll be expected to know a little about alot of things. But I'm looking forward to it.
Nicole's Wedding Shower-
My little sister will be getting married in 20 days! It's really coming up soon. Last weekend I went back to Newton to throw a lingerie shower for Nicole. We had a really good time and Nicole got lots of nice things- although she did blush a few times as she was opening gifts :) My sister-in-law Dorothy came up too, so it was fun to get to hang out with her for a little while. Here's some pictures from the shower:
Our Date-
Mike and I have not been on a real "date" for quite awhile. We've been really busy with the store and we don't have a lot of money to go out, so we usually just hang out at home. But Thursday night we went out on a date! Capanna was a sponsor for an up and coming music festival in Iowa City called Mission Creek Music Festival. So we ended up getting two free tickets to see Patty Griffin at the Englert theater. I didn't really know much about her, but it was a really good concert and we had a fun time actually being out on the town. Mike and I both have a fondness for downtown IC (although we wouldn't mind getting rid of the drunken, bar-hopping college students!). We're looking forward to the Friday night concert series and the Arts and Jazz Festivals this summer. And I'm going to try to do a better job of hitting up the Farmer's Markets for great fresh produce.
3 comments:
Yeah for an update! I'm glad to hear that you and Mike had such a good time on your date. It can be pretty hard going too long without having "fun date" time.
dude, i am so glad you guys are still alive! :) i am also going to work to get to the farmer's markets more this summer too!
glad to hear about the date night!
oh yeah... that was me.
~L
Post a Comment