One of the Reasons Mike and I Will Likely Homeschool Our Kids
Wednesday, October 17, 2007
This video horrified me so much I don't even know what to say. Giving birth control to 6th graders??? I know I'm getting old, but at 6th grade I'm pretty sure I was still playing with Barbies on occasion, not thinking about having sex. This is a serious problem!
***In case the video link doesn' work you can read the story here.
4 comments:
The video wouldn't work for me... But I can say without seeing it, um no way is my 6th grader going anywhere near birth control! Seriously, 6th grade?!? I mean, common on, what are people thinking.
I am totally against this idea as well, but what it did remind me was that some parents do need a swift kick to talk to their kids about these things.
My parents innocently did not speak about such things but I know I was in 4th grade when I learned a whole lot of stuff I shouldn't have. Now, as a parent, in parental ways I think hey should have been more verbal about these kinds of topics with parental determined age appropriate discernment. Again, I am definitely not for this measure, and it makes my skin crawl, but I am praying that for the parents in the area will use this as a way to be more vocal with their kids and more involved in their lives.
It reminds me of all the commercials talking about parents being the ones to make the rules and talk about drugs with their kids... the Ad Council realizes the power of parents and while this measure seems like a way to undermine parents, my prayer is that just the opposite will happen. :)!
Dana- That is a good point. Hopefully there will be some good that comes of this situation. I think the big problem is that many parents are ok with abdicating responsibility to the government. It's uncomfortable to discuss these things with your kids, so it's easy to pass it off to someone else and not care.
Indeed, passing parenting responsibility to the government is terrible. I remember hearing from somewhere (and you'll have to check my memory) about the history of public schools in the US and that the original government did not want to have that kind of control over the kids and wanted to maintain the parents role, or something to that affect? Hmm... I am going to look that up today, :)!
From a government viewpoint though, it is really scary that they are taking such authority away from parents and how they can justify neglecting parental rights.
Post a Comment