How Does Your Garden Grow?

Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Mine is growing pretty well!! I'm really excited that all of the seeds I planted at least sprouted!! It's not the prettiest garden in the world. Actually, it's not really pretty at all. I have 6 miscellaneous pots sitting a few feet in front of my house. But it's quite functional. That's really the only spot in our half the yard where they can receive full sun.
I ended up planting the following:
-Cucumber
-Squash
-Burgundy Bush Bean (a type of snap bean that actually is a deep purple color and turns emerald green when it's cooked. It said it worked well in pots, plus that is just way cool!)
-Lettuce
-Radishes (I planted the lettuce with the radishes in a big pot, but forgot to mark where I planted which seeds. I'm just now starting to figure out what's what :) )
- Red Pepper (this seems to be doing ok, but hasn't grown a ton since I planted it and hasn't flowered yet. I'm not sure if that's normal or not)
- Tomato (this has the most potential. I currently have 4 little green tomatoes and tons of flowers on it and it has grown soooo much since I planted it)
-Basil (I planted this with the tomatoes because I read that was a good idea, but I think the tomato plant is now kind of smothering it- oh well!)

I had purchased some Miracle Grow fertilizer, but then decided to return it in exchange for an organic fertilizer made from worm castings (which is pretty much worm poop -sweet!). I really liked supporting the company that makes it- Terracycle. They package all of their stuff in recycled containers. The fertilizer I bought is in an old milk jug. If you go to the website you can see that they pay people small amounts to give them various old containers, which they turn into containers for the products. What a great idea!!!! I also read that the owners are rather young, in their mid-twenties, so it's nice to support fellow young entrepreneurs!

3 comments:

Anonymous,  6:20 AM  

Way to go on the veggies! Are all of those in pots then? I am sure they all look so beautiful together, you should post a photo. We are growing hte purple beans this year as well. Leslie did yellow ones last year and they were beautiful, so we are doing all 3 together and I can't wait to see how pretty it is. just like purple cabbage, it is attractive AND delicious. (The pepper plants at our community lot (including ours) are all small still, so I wouldn't worry much yet.) In any event, congrats! And post pictures! :)!

The McCains 7:22 AM  

Yes- those are all in pots. I would post a picture, but our camera had an accident, so we just have our old film camera now. My sister is coming over next weekend, so maybe I'll be able to get a picture with her camera.
Yesterday I noticed a flower bud starting on the pepper plant, so I think it will start going soon!

Anonymous,  11:18 AM  

Dear Mike and Alicia,
We are praying that the sandbags are holding the water back! We are glad to read that it looks like Mike's business locations are safe and we assume that you home is, too! We did read that the power has been turned off at the University Hospital and backup power is being used! We will continue to pray! We look forward to seeing you in about 10 days!!
Love,
Dona and Luke

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Brownium by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP