5k Update
Monday, October 19, 2009
It's been a little bit, but I wanted to announce that I did complete my 5k! I ran it in 32 minutes (and some seconds, can't remember how many), which was better than I had expected! It felt really good to complete after having trained. I was a little nervous, because it was the Saturday after we got back from Spain, and I didn't run at all while in Spain. But adrenaline and motivation from my friends kept me going.
Unfortunately, unlike my friend Sarah, I did not run at all for 2 weeks after the 5k. :(
However, I am happy to report that on Saturday I got back into it and ran again tonight. I'm doing a training program called "Gateway to 8k", so it should get me to running 5 miles regularly, which I think I'll stay at for awhile. My main goal in running is overall fitness/health, so running ~50 minutes (or 5 miles) 3-4 days a week definitely meets that goal for me. My main challenge now is weather. It has definitely become cold a lot earlier than normal (we've even had snow!) and with the early sunset, I'm thinking I may have to move my runs indoors if I'm going to stay with it. I could handle the cold for a while longer, but I don't like running in the dark, it makes me nervous! We do have a nice rec center and I think I can run on the track indoors for free since I'm a resident. I have yet to check it out, but I need to give myself a kick in the pants and do it. It's amazing how much easier running is now that I'm in better shape. I don't notice a big difference in my physical appearance, but I feel a huge difference when I run and that feels really good!
2 comments:
I'll go running with you on the weekends! I try to go early-ish in the morning to get it out of the way, but could do it any time really. And I concur about running at night, a little too scary for me. However, I've taken Jack before and that seemed to help ease some fear. Except, really, he's quite the pansy and I'm pretty certain he'd run away from his own shadow. But other people don't know that. ;)
wow! nice blog! :) so glad you are going to keep running, do you think coralville has the same thing about running for free if you are a resident? that would rock!!
~L
Post a Comment