Hudson's Birth

Tuesday, January 11, 2011



Our little boy is here, so time to bring this blog back to life (if anybody is still reading it)! I thought I'd kick things off with recording Hudson's birth story. I've been told multiple times that it's important to write it down so I don't forget, because the farther out you get, the fewer the details you remember. This may be TMI for some of you, so if you don't like to read detailed birth stories, just skip this post.


Hudson's due date was 1/11/11, but I kept feeling this pressing urge to have everything ready by the time I hit 37 weeks (considered full term). It was a good thing, because at exactly 37 weeks, at 5 am, my water broke. Hudson had been very active that morning and I had just returned to my bed after a bathroom trip to try to get a couple more minutes of sleep before the alarm went off again. I felt this weird little pop and thought about how that didn't really feel like his normal movements. I just had this feeling that it was my water breaking, but didn't really think it could be that early. I got up to go to the bathroom, telling Mike I thought my water broke, and sure enough by the time I got to the bathroom I was soaked. There was no mistaking, my water definitely broke.

Mike and I had taken Bradley childbirth classes to prepare for a natural birth, so we were in no hurry to get to the hospital. I was hoping contractions would start soon, but as we went about the morning, I wasn't feeling anything. We tried some natural methods to help start contractions, but still, nothing. So about 11 am I was feeling a little tired so I took a nap for about an hour. When I woke up, I was feeling anxious about not having contractions. I didn't know what kind of timeline my midwives would have for me after my water breaking and I was worried that if we waited too long to get to the hospital, they would automatically give me a C-section. So about 1:30 we checked in to Labor and Delivery. Our friend/doula Dana met us there. When I got there, they hooked me to the monitors and I was having contractions, they were just mild enough that I didn't feel them much yet. The midwife on call was great and told me they have no timeline as long as I was not spiking a temp and that Hudson looked ok when they checked him on the monitors. She had us start trying to get contractions going using some natural methods and this time, it worked. I spent time in the shower and did a lot of walking. When I would start to get a contraction, I would just lean on Mike and relax my body like we had practiced in class.

In the midst of all this, I ended up getting skin prick testing for a penicillin allergy. Since I went early, I had just had my Group B strep test done the day before and the results weren't back yet. Because my water broke and they didn't know my status, that meant I had to get antibiotics. I had a questionable penicillin allergy, but the other antibiotic given is pretty nasty stuff that I wanted to avoid if possible. So I was having contractions, having to hold my arm still while they tested me for the allergy- it was kind of crazy. It was worth it though because it turns out I'm not allergic to penicillin, so they were able to use that.

So I labored for quite awhile, but in order for my contractions to keep going and stay strong, I basically needed to be walking or on my knees without sitting on my butt. Anytime I sat or layed down, the contractions spaced out. The problem was, I was getting tired!! So about 11pm they decided to check me for the first time and I was only at 2 cm. At this point, the midwife recommended that we needed to start pitocin. I really didn't want to as I knew this could make the contractions much worse and make it harder for me to avoid an epidural, but I still wanted to avoid a C-section, so I agreed to it. They started it and in very little time, the contractions became much stronger. I decided to try laboring in the whirlpool tub to help me relax. I was in there for a little while and around 1:30 or so, decided to get out because it wasn't comfortable anymore. When I got out, I got very shaky and threw up 3 times. I was also feeling a lot of pain and pressure, like I needed to push. So at this point everyone thinks I'm in transition, and my nurse even said that. So the midwife checked me again, and I was expecting to be at a 7 or 8, but I was only 3-4 cm!

At that point, I mentally gave up. I was begging Mike and Dana to let me have an epidural. They knew I didn't want one, so they were trying to encourage me and tell me how great I was doing. I remember Dana telling me to say one positive thing, but I just couldn't. Finally, Mike told me he would step out and talk to the midwife and review our options. I agreed, but in my mind I was getting an epidural. When he talked to the midwife, she told him I was doing great and didn't need an epidural, but that it would probably be about 6 hours before I was complete and ready to push. Mike didn't feel he could come back and tell me that, so they offered me Nubain. It's a narcotic drug that doesn't take away the pain, but "takes the edge off" they told me. The midwife thought it might help me sleep and get some rest. I agreed, still thinking that I was just humoring everyone and that in an hour or so they'd have to give me the epidural I really wanted. But, the Nubain worked and I fell asleep. I'm not sure how long I slept, but I remember laying on my side feeling really really painful contractions, but just breathing really deeply and telling myself I just had to get through one more. Mike told me later that often he and Dana couldn't tell I was having a contraction because I was so quite. They would just notice my breathing change and then see on the monitor that I was having a contraction!

At some point, I started to feel my body pushing. I told them this, but they told me not to push yet. They had me get up and try the tub again, which was awful. I got out and sat on the toilet for a little while, which was better, but the urge to push was getting stronger and stronger. I was trying not to push, but with every contraction I would feel myself pushing without me even trying. So finally they decided to check me and I was complete! Everyone cheered, but I was thinking, oh man, now I have to push!! I pushed most of the time on my knees with my hands resting on the head of the bed which was elevated, but then they made me turn on my side for some reason, which was probably the most painful part of labor because his head was partially out at that point. But I pushed a few more times after that and finally his head came out. After that, the rest of his body came out super fast. Mike says "he flew out!" They put him immediately on my chest and he was screaming. He was covered in vernix since he was early. I just remember feeling so relieved and so happy to have him out! I only pushed for about 30 minutes, so that was good. He was very healthy and got Apgar scores of 9 and 9.

Overall, I'm really happy how things turned out. I had wanted to avoid drugs completely, but since my water broke early, that kind of put a wrench in our plans. I'm proud that I was able to avoid getting an epidural and still stay mostly natural. Although it's still a bit early, I am looking forward to next time trying again to go complete drug free. It was hard work, but totally worth it!!


3 comments:

Kelsey 8:12 AM  

Glad you're coming back to the blog world and thanks for sharing your birth story!

Ella's Mom 8:55 AM  

Glad to see you back on here! Sounds like you had a good birth experience!

Neave 3:38 PM  

Wow! That is pretty intense, girl! It's great that it all turned out well, though. And you are already looking forward to the next labor??! You are a strong woman!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Brownium by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP