Hudson's First Month
Friday, January 28, 2011

I have always heard people say that when you have a baby, the days go by so quickly. Man, they are not kidding!! I can't believe our little man is already 5 weeks old. I'm already forgetting what it felt like to be pregnant and forgetting what it felt like to go through labor.
We are having so much fun getting to know Hudson. We are blessed that God eased us into parenting with an "easy" baby. While he is a lot of work (he is a newborn of course!), to me he seems to be pretty easygoing. He has been nursing well since the beginning, usually about every 2-3 hours or so during the day, and sleeps anywhere from 3-5 hours at night. The first few days it was really easy to wake up at night when he stirred, but after the first week, it was getting much harder to wake up and get all set up to feed him. Fortunately we figured out how to nurse in the side lying position, so I just grab him from his pack n play basinet and pull him into bed with me and we both kind of half sleep for awhile until he's done. So, really I feel much more rested than I thought I might at this point.

One of the cutest things about him is his sneezes. The first couple weeks he would always sneeze twice and then would "sneeze" one more time, but it wouldn't be a sneeze, it would be like this cute little growl. Almost like he was preparing himself for a third sneeze that didn't come, so it just all comes out in his voice. But since we never know when he might sneeze, we haven't been able to get it on video. He's mostly outgrown it now (sad!), but occasionally it still comes out and is just so stinking cute!
His newest trick is social smiling. Right about 4 weeks he started smiling back at me. Let me tell you, when your newborn smiles in his sleep, it's the cutest thing, but when he smiles at you on purpose-- oh wow, it just melts your heart!! Mike can get him smiling really big, and I just love seeing the two of them "play" together :)

Hudson loves being worn, either in the moby wrap or my mei tai carrier so most afternoons he snoozes in the carrier while i get some laundry or cleaning done, it's a win-win! Car rides are another one of his favorite things most of the time, unless he is hungry! He usually likes his bath, especially having his hair washed, but doesn't like the getting in and out part. He hates to have a dirty diaper, but also hates to have his diaper changed, so that one is kind of a lose-lose. It's nice when Mike is around, because then we tag team and he usually sucks on daddy's finger to stay calm. He does take a pacifier, but won't take one during a diaper change for some reason!

Speaking of diapers, after Hudson's cord stump fell off (it took 19 days- they told us at the hospital 7-10!), we switched to cloth diapers, which is going really well. We are using prefolds and covers, and so far so good. I wash a load about every other day, so not too bad. Some of his diaper covers are so cute, I will have to take some pictures and post those sometime. The hard part about changing his diaper is not getting sprayed! I never really babysat for too many baby boys, so didn't have much experience with this before Hudson. At first, I would just forget to cover him, but now, even when I throw one of the prefolds over him, he's so wiggly that somehow he still ends up spraying himself or me! We'll keep working on getting that one figured out.
I just still can't believe that he is here. This little person that I longed for and prayed to God for for so long is now in my arms. We are so blessed!!!
3 comments:
Hooray! Great photos! Glad to hear a little bit more about your little man.
Wish I was close enough to meet your sweet boy! The photos are so wonderful! Love looking at them her and on FB! Not sure if you have heard of the peepee teepee but I have heard they are pretty good!
Glad to hear all is going well! Just a FYI - it took H's stump over 2 weeks to fall off. J's went faster, but for some reason it wasn't the case for H.
Post a Comment